Web Application Development & Consulting
I build web applications, quickly. The open-source framework Ruby on Rails is my preferred weapon of choice (as long as it's actually the right tool for the job), which lets me rapidly make changes and iterate on ideas and features.
My depth of experience means I've seen a bit of everything - I've been a front-line, in-the-trenches software engineer, carried a pager (and answered it at 3am!), dabbled in interaction design and usability, and acted as a team lead / project manager for teams. I've worked for a variety of companies, from startups, small agency-style shops, to large health insurance companies supporting their corporate web presence and applications.
- Web application design & development
- My bread and butter. I've been building the web for over a decade.
- API Integration
- Apps that exist in isolation aren't very interesting! Whether it's building a service for other apps to use, or integrating with third-party APIs, I can help get systems talking to each other.
- UX design / user research
- I've partnered with NiceUX for UX design. A critical activity at the start of a project, understanding your users is essential to designing an application that isn't painful to use.
- Requirements gathering / Business Analysis & Design
- Do you have a rough idea of what you want built, but not sure about the details? There's a lot more to building an app than coding. I can help you dig in to the meat of the problem you're trying to solve.
- Development process improvement
- Unhappy with your velocity? Give me a few days working with your developers, and I can advise you on points for improvement.
- Flat Rock Geographics
- More coming soon!
Embedded within the local Twin Cities tech community for a number of years, I have my finger on the pulse of what's going on. I've also been a member of various local tech user groups, and lately I've been co-organizing the Ruby Users of Minnesota group, a gathering place for local Minneapolis/Saint Paul rubyists to learn, share ideas, and network.
Get in touch! tony (at) halogenlabs.com